Our new apartment in Morelia, Mexico

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

Slowly we are getting situated.

Our traditional Mexican apartment in Morelia is spacious and oh-so convenient. I love living in the city. We are in the Centro Historico, a UNESCO World Heritage site and everything we need regularly is within walking distance. The 17th-century cathedral, which towers over the plaza, is a three-minute dog walk. Every block is punctuated by food stands, small markets, vendors. University students pack the sidewalks. Live music, great restaurants, 24-hour mini-marts, shopping, transit…it’s all right here.

Our place is in a small courtyard with several other apartments, mostly inhabited by Mexicans. We haven’t met everyone yet, as people are always coming and going, and we can’t tell who lives here and who doesn’t. We have one expat neighbor, Valda, who is fluent in Spanish and is a font of information about where to go and what to do in Morelia.

Our little home isn’t too loud, which is the best you can hope for in Mexico. An symphony of sounds begins every day at 7:30 am with the trash guy calling calling “Basuraaaaaaaa.” We leave the trash outside and he picks it up, but I need to be up when he comes to tip him 5 pesos. We tried leaving a coin under the bag the night before, but once someone pinched it, so now we just get up.  Several days a week the water guy comes by bellowing “Santoriniiiiiiiiiiii.” The rest of the time we are lulled by typical city white noise—a low-level din of construction and traffic sounds, fireworks, church bells, barking dogs, kids playing in the courtyard, and the conversations of our neighbors as they go in and out.

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

Before we moved in I was concerned about the small kitchen, but it’s surprisingly easy to use, as long as I wash dishes as I go and don’t let them pile up. This enforced dish-washing is actually pretty good, because that way we don’t end up with a big pile of washing after meals. And the kitchen is stocked with great tools (a few professional-grade pans, a comal for tortillas, an omelette pan, mortar & pestle, nice dishes, etc), so I didn’t need to unpack my own stuff.

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

Here are the bedrooms: Mark and I are in the lavender one…Scout’s in the peach one. She loves having her own private space again.

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

Check out these stairs from the kitchen up to the roof. They’re super narrow and have no railings, so at first Mark and I got vertigo half way up and could barely continue. Now we both scamper up and down like mountain goats, even when we’re carrying armfuls of wet laundry.

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

Sorry Archie, no room to pass!

The roof area is where we dry laundry. It’s also a great space for the dogs to get some sun. Little Sophie can’t get up the steep stairs by herself, so sometimes Archie comes up here for some quiet time. It’s his man-roof. Until he starts barking at people. In Mexico it seems like there’s a dog on every roof, and they all go nuts when you walk by, barking and looming over the edge as they resist jumping off the roof and onto your head. A lot of them bark all day long, poor lonely things. We don’t let Archie do this. A few barks, and he has to come in.

2-bedroom Rental Apartment in Morelia, Mexico

1 Chris January 24, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Hi Renee, very nice apartment and I would guess the whole thing was furnished. I would like to know how you find your apartments? Is there a pipeline of information by other travelers? How about schools for Scout? Are they up to your standards? You may have answered these questions before but I’m a newbie to your sight, lol!
Thanks Chris

2 Jeff P. January 24, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Awesome, guys! Love that kitchen. Got a guest room?

3 Renee January 24, 2014 at 1:06 pm

For you, always. 🙂

4 Nancy Real January 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Nice place! We will be looking for similar in a year when our California clock runs out and our Mexico clock kicks in. I don’t know if I could commit to those stairs though… Can you share how you found it and how much you pay? How long are you planning on being here?

5 Brian Beesley January 24, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I do miss the sounds and many interesting “simple systems that work” in Mexico! It seems to me that the postman used to come down the street and blow a whistle, and people would come out and get their mail. Another sound I remember was the triangle being rung…and I thought that was for the garbage man ( could be wrong, or maybe not universal.) There was a flute-like whistle in some places that signified the knife sharpener was on your street. He would turn his upside-down bicycle into a device to power his sharpening hones by hand-cranking the pedals! 🙂
The new place looks great!

6 Mark January 26, 2014 at 10:48 pm

What’s funny… my first thought, upon seeing the young man ringing the bell through the streets, was it is some sort of penance he was being forced to do. My friend said, “no, just the trash man.”

7 Amy @worldschoolAdventures January 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Looks so cute! Love all the colour!
Amy @worldschoolAdventures recently posted..Raising Your Own PigsMy Profile

8 Renee January 26, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Amy. We’re really enjoying it.

9 Patti January 24, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I’ve always loved the colors of the culture – they’re so vibrant and inviting. This looks like a great place to call home, how long do you think you’ll stay? And that’s a great roof top but yeah, those stairs!!
Patti recently posted..See the USA – 11: Not Feeling It ~My Profile

10 Mark January 26, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Patti, I think we’ll probably stay put for 6 months or so. We’re really liking living right in the heart of this beautiful colonial city. Feeling pretty lucky. You get used to the stairs…

11 Bill D'Antoni January 24, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Love the apt.! And the pics! Glad to here y’all are enjoying your stay there. Keep the info & pics coming! Love & miss y’all!

12 Mark January 26, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Thanks, brother Bill. We’re enjoying the experience. Everything’s new.

13 carol stilwell January 25, 2014 at 7:06 am

so nice; did you sign a lease? spendy? do you speak spanish?

14 Renee January 26, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Hi Carol. No, no lease though we’ll be there at least three months, probably longer. Our Spanish is coming along but we’re not fluent yet. I wish I were better. The kid’s getting pretty good though.

15 travelwithkevinandruth.com January 26, 2014 at 8:14 am

Price you pay would be an important part of the story 🙂
travelwithkevinandruth.com recently posted..Apartheid’s Leftover ProblemsMy Profile

16 Renee January 26, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Indeed. Morelia cost-of-living post coming shortly.

17 MJ Robinson January 26, 2014 at 10:23 am

So many memories of this apartment! Rose was renting to the Lopez’ 7 years ago, and we visited several times just before and after baby Marcos was born – his first home! Great karma in that place. Love your descriptions of life and living in Morelia. How are the spanish lessons going?

Best wishes and safe travels.

MJ Robinson

18 Tom Medsger January 26, 2014 at 10:23 am

Hi, folks,
You say “I love living in the city. We are in the Centro Histórico, a UNESCO World Heritage site and everything we need regularly is within walking distance. The 17th-century cathedral, which towers over the plaza, is a three-minute dog walk.” Hmmm…sounds like Querétaro! And you are getting closer.
Hope we can get together next month when I’ll be at the good old Hotel Hidalgo, where we all met last February. Don’t know the group’s plans and schedule yet. To be continued…
Best to all; looks like the perfect apartment! Love Archie’s sun roof.
Tom

19 Mark January 26, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Tom, there are similarities between Morelia and Querétaro. I think Querétaro is larger. We’re really liking Morelia a lot. Keep us posted on your plans for next month.

20 Cathryn Haynes January 26, 2014 at 11:08 am

I love Morelia…..tell us all you experience, please!

21 Connie Lovell January 26, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Wow! It all looks fab, very colourful too. Your life sounds like such a great adventure, marvellous fun for Scout. She will have a great knowledge of different cultures, never learned quite so fully or personally in schools. I’m sure she must be quite fluent in Spanish now?

Connie.
PS those stairs scare me though!

22 Renee January 26, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Connie, yes, Scout’s getting more and more proficient all the time. It’s a pleasure to see.

23 Karen January 26, 2014 at 2:37 pm

In San Patricio-Melaque, Jalisco the water truck sounded more like Tarzan was swinging thru the trees somewhere.

I love the vibrant colours of your new place. So cheery. Maybe we’ll bring over some wine this week!
Karen recently posted..Chapala Holds OnMy Profile

24 Renee January 26, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Yes, bring wine! I’ll start rounding up extra chairs…

25 Tricia January 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

What a beautiful apartment! Enjoy your time there – it looks wonderful. 🙂
Tricia recently posted..Still Lovin’ LouisianaMy Profile

26 Annie@GreenTravelReviews February 12, 2014 at 8:49 am

Oh wow, I LOVE that kitchen space – especially the space under the stairs and the stairs themselves! Congrats on your new place 😉
Annie@GreenTravelReviews recently posted..Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge: Eco Luxury in Corcovado National Park, Costa RicaMy Profile

27 Kirsty February 14, 2014 at 12:40 am

Apartment looks gorgeous! As always, you make me want to visit Mexico! Morelia sounds fantastic. I’m still annoyed that the stupid US visa rules mean we’ll probably have to jump over Mexico to Guatemala and head there afterwards. Would be so much easier to just head south!
Kirsty recently posted..First impressions of IstanbulMy Profile

28 Rose Calderone April 7, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Renee, I don’t know how I missed these photos before.
Thank you. The place looks great (says me!)…but then
I’d had it and loved it for almost 10 years now. So great…
right in the heart of el centro Morelia and I adore the
safe, quiet, private courtyard.

If any of your traveling friends are interested……..just contact me
at rosecalderone@gmail.com.

Gracias,
Rose

29 Renee April 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

We have loved staying here. Steps from everything, and of course we have the best landlady ever. 🙂

30 taruni singla June 3, 2014 at 7:03 am

hii all…we are coming from india to live there for 18 months and we dont know anything about the city….can you please tell us the average cost per month of living there and which areas are best to lease an apartment….please help….

31 Renee June 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hi, Taruni. Cost of living varies, since one person’s bargain-bungalow is another person’s dump, so it’s hard to say. You can google “house rentals in Lake Chapala” to get started, though renting online is always more expensive. You’ll find cheaper options one you’re there, via messages posted at the local markets and “se renta” signs posted in windows. Good luck!

32 Maggie August 3, 2015 at 2:52 am

Hello, I was wondering about living in Morelia Mexico for about six months. I am a middle aged woman from America living on a fixed disability income. Does your landlord have any two bedroom apartments? It would be in 2016. Maggie

33 Renee August 12, 2015 at 10:51 am

Hi, Maggie. The apartment we were staying in was the only 2-bed, and it’s been sold unfortunately. You might want to check AirB&B and see what you find there. Morelia’s Centro is lovely.