Sophie’s first week

Lake Chapala, Mexico, dog rescue

Thanks everyone for all your interest in little Sophie, our Christmas rescue pup. Today is her 1-week anniversary with us.

Health-wise, she’s doing well. During her first few nights she was up quite a bit scratching, but that is tapering off now that her skin is healing. Today Scout and I noticed that the stitches in her leg were opening up, so we took her back to the vet to have the stitches redone. Apparently the infection was back, but the vet patched her up again and this time wrapped the leg in a big bandage. While we were getting that done, the vet mentioned her skin and eyes were looking great. Sophie will need few more shots for the mange, but it looks like no permanent damage was done. Finally, she’s starting to gain weight, no big surprise. Her skin is so loose it hangs off her, but less so than it did that first day after the vet shaved her. Yay! Scout is taking excellent care of her. They sleep together, which is really sweet because when they’re all cuddled up, I can’t tell whose curls are whose.

Sophie, who weighs about 8 pounds, is an absolute doll. Poodles have never been my thing, but honestly, I am smitten. We all are. She’s smart and learns fast, very fast. And she does cute, circusy things, like standing on her front paws with her back legs in the air. She demonstrated this a few days ago for about 10 seconds while she was eating. Crazy, hey? Sophie is house-trained and hasn’t had any accidents in the house. None. She neither scratches nor chews stuff. She’s already learned to sit and also not to demand-bark during dinner, two very good things. Also she must be feeling good, because yesterday I saw her do a couple of play-bows, which were unreciprocated by Archie.

Lake Chapala, Mexico, dog rescue

Speaking of Archie, you may wonder how he feels about this invader in his home. Well, until yesterday he was not amused. He initiated some unpleasant kitchen skirmishes on Christmas, spurred on (no doubt) by the incendiary scent of roast pork wafting through the air. Occasionally he growls if Sophie takes him by surprise coming around a corner or crowds him while going through the door. At first he freaked out if she touched him, even with the tip of a paw, but now they can brush against each other with no big drama. Baby steps.

This morning though, I saw signs of a thaw. Archie did a play-bow (a major development) and rolled over so Sophie could give him a sniff. Then they played for about five minutes. Unless I’m mistaken, it’s the thin end of the wedge. 🙂

PS-Sophie1

1 Clélie December 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Love the last photo here. She has a great face. Very glad to hear she’s found a good home and so much love.

2 Laurel- Capturing la Vita December 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for the Sophie update! Looks like she’s blending right in 🙂 That last shot is fantastic!
Laurel- Capturing la Vita recently posted..Our Favorite Family Spots in Tuscany for 2013My Profile

3 James Winter December 29, 2013 at 7:20 pm

My wife and I foster dogs for the local no kill shelter here in Arizona. If you keep Sophie that’s great. If you find her a good home that’s great too. Maybe even better. Bless you for taking care of her. I wish there were more wonderful people like you and your family.

4 Renee December 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Thanks James. I think she’s already part of the family. 🙂

5 Alyson December 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm

That last photo is majic. I always thought poodles were smart. I’m starting to want a dog after spending the last week with a friend’s dachshund, so sweet!
Alyson recently posted..Time Travel at the Museum of Welsh Life, St FagansMy Profile

6 Tiffany December 30, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Congratulations on the family addition! What a beautiful and fortunate pup Sophie is, and I wish her a speedy recovery. Looking forward to following the antics of she and Archie now! Double the fun!
Tiffany recently posted..40 For My 40thMy Profile

7 Molly December 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Way to go Scout – Archie & new gal pal are so lucky to have a caring kid be their parent… so many little dogs are afraid of kids because they don’t know how to handle them (case in point, our Tiger, but he’s a nut job in general… but I’m sure he’d love you!).

I’m curious about the mange – can Archie ‘catch’ it from her? And yikes, he’s a boy (photo pretty clear), I thought I read way back when something referring to a ‘her’ in one of your posts and remember thinking what a cool name for a girl dog – sorry Archie!

I did do a quick Google – two types of mange – how do you keep Archie from getting it?

un beso, Molly
Molly recently posted..Introducing “Road Trip USA” Travel SeriesMy Profile

8 Renee December 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hey Molly. Sophie has had two shots for the mange and needs one more to complete the sequence. I asked the vet if Archie could catch it (or anything else) from her, and she said no. Sophie is looking good….her skin is healing fast and her eyes are clear. Archie was healthy to start with and is still looking good. I think all is well.

9 Amy December 30, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you’re keeping Sophie and I love hearing about how Archie is taking to the new addition – hilarious! I hope they become friends and Sophie continues to thrive.
Amy recently posted..Our First Christmas on the RoadMy Profile

10 Ozzy D'Antoni January 1, 2014 at 6:24 am

I think it’s Wonderful what y’all have done for Lil Sophie! She is looking 100% better! Just wanted to wish y’all a very Happy New Year! May u have ALL the Blessings the Good Lord has to offer! Luv ya, Oz

11 Renee January 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Thanks, Ozzy!:-)

12 carol stilwell January 8, 2014 at 10:54 am

hi renee: do you have a total of the cost of rescuing sophie? i rescued our tavvi2. i would like to rescue others, but the cost is prohibitive. we talk of moving to mexico, especially the lake chapala area, because of the english speakers (being a uni-linqual), and, of course, other reasons. the $375 rent amount totally caught my attention……would be wonderful for me to have some surplus cash after my monthly overhead! i see that you moved to morelia; liking it?

13 kate January 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Just wonderful, can’t be easy for Archie. “They sleep together, which is really sweet because when they’re all cuddled up, I can’t tell whose curls are whose”. That is too sweet!
Your travelling tales are engrossing as they are, but i have to confess that the ‘Sophie saga’ has absolutely done me in! What is going to happen when you cross borders and stuff? How will Scout, and Archie for that matter, cope? Maybe that’s too soon eh?

14 Kimberly Gauthier January 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm

You are right. Baby steps.

It’s not been a month since went from two dogs to four and we’re getting to a great rhythm in the house. Sydney, who didn’t like these puppies taking over her mommy is now becoming a caretaker and grooming “her” puppies and playing with them.

Rodrigo wants to play, but he’s too big. We’re trying to let them find their way but with supervision.

Have fun!!!
Kimberly Gauthier recently posted..Fur Mom Confessions | I Stole a Box of Riley’s Organic Dog TreatsMy Profile

15 Renee January 17, 2014 at 8:44 am

Kim, your new pups are such cuties. I’m glad Sydney and Rodrigo are adjusting. We’re making progress here too. Archie and Sophie frolic together now, and Archie—who can be quite loud and terrifying when he’s playing—is learning to be gentle. Also Archie was very jealous of me, but I’ve taken great pains to let him know he is and always will be my number-one baby. 🙂