Improve your Spanish Pronunciation with Spanish Tongue Twisters [inc. VIDEO]

Pinterest Spanish Tongue Twisters

Recently we’ve been using tongue twisters (trabalenguas in Spanish) to improve our Spanish pronunciation. Aside from giving us giggle fits and building our vocabulary, they’re helping us get more comfortable with awkward letter combinations. It’s boot camp for our tongues! For example, it’s tough for me to trill the letter “r” in a “tr” combo (without spitting on someone anyway), but thanks to the tongue twisters, I’m actually improving. Check it out…Scout made this video to demonstrate her favorite tongue twisters.

Spanish Tongue Twisters

La pícara pájara pica la típica jícara; a la típica jícara, pica la pícara pájara.

(Translation:  The mischievous bird bit the typical cup, on the typical cup bit the mischievous bird.)

“Erre” con “erre” cigarro,
“erre” con “erre” barril.
Rápido corren los carros,
Cargados de azucar del ferrocarril.

(Translation: “R” and “R” cigar, “R” and “R” barrel, The [train] cars go fast, laden with the sugar of the railroad)

Si yo como como como,
y tú comes como comes.
¿Cómo comes como como?
Si yo como como como.

(Translation: If I eat like I eat, and you eat like you eat. How can you eat like I eat? If I eat like I eat.)

Pepe Pecas pica papas con un pico.
Con un pico pica papas Pepe Pecas.

(Translation: Pepe Pecas hacks potatoes with a pick. With a pick hacks potatoes Pepe Pecas.)

Pablito clavó un clavito.
Un clavito clavó Pablito.
Que clavito clavó Pablito?

(Translation: Pablo nailed a nail. A (was) nailed by Pablo. What nail did Pablo nail?)

Tres tristes tigres tragaban trigo en un trigal en tres tristes trastos.
En tres tristes trastos tragaban trigo tres tristes tigres.

(Translation: Three sad tigers swallow wheat in a wheat field from three sad bowls. In three sad bowls, three sad tigers swallow wheat.)

Cómo quieres que te quiera
si el que quiero que me quiera
no me quiere como quiero que me quiera.

(Translation: How do you want me to like you if the one I want to like me doesn’t like me as I want him to like me.)

Chango chino rechiflado que a la changa china chiflas: ¿Porque chiflas a la changa china chango chino rechiflado?

(Translation: Chinese whistling monkey whistling at your Chinese mother. Why does the Chinese monkey  you whistle at your Chinese mother?)

Compadre, cómpreme un coco.
Compadre, no compro coco, porque poco coco como poco coco compro.

(Translation: Friend, buy me a coconut. Friend, I don’t buy coconut because I eat little coconut, therefore I buy little coconut.)

Pedro Pablo Pérez Pinto Prieto,
Pinta puertas por poco precio,
Para poder pasar por Perú
Por el Partido Popular.

(Translation: Pedro Pablo Pérez Pinto Prieto paints doors for a small price, so he can go to Perú for the popular party.)

1 Paz November 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Wow!!! I can’t believe how good she is at those tongue twisters!! I have to start practicing. 🙂 Great video!

2 Renee November 18, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks, Paz. She worked hard on the video! 🙂

3 Alex November 18, 2013 at 2:03 pm

She is just lovely. I had mastered the R con R when in college. It really helped learning to trill. She is quite skilled.
Alex recently posted..Machete – Tool of La JunglaMy Profile

4 Renee November 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thanks, Alex. She has a good ear for languages. I’m not bad, but the tongue twisters are definitely helping me speak faster. Did you major in Spanish?

5 Patti November 18, 2013 at 7:57 pm

#1 Scout is adorable and #2 very impressive with the twister skills. I think kids always pick up languages more easily than adults. I just sent the link to your blog to my good friend. They live in Baja near El Cardonal on the Sea of Cortez. Their backyard is the beach. Very remote, very stunning. I know she’ll enjoy reading your blog.
Patti recently posted..What You May Not Know ~My Profile

6 Renee November 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Thanks, Patti…I appreciate the kind words about Scout! 🙂

7 Rhonda Albom November 18, 2013 at 11:39 pm

This is really fun and quite brilliant. I am forwarding it to the girls Spanish teacher.
Rhonda Albom recently posted..Statue of Liberty Made Out of Jelly BeansMy Profile

8 Rhonda Albom November 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I hit submit too soon – forgot to add, Scout sounds and looks fantastic, and so fluent.

9 Kelly November 19, 2013 at 12:57 am

Wow! So smooth Scout! You sound like a native. How long have you been studying Spanish? Did you learn any Spanish before moving to Mexico?

We are flying down to Ajijic tomorrow. We will try out some of these tongue twisters nice and LOUD on the plane and drive everyone loco! 🙂

Hope we get to meet you and your parents in person.

Kelly and Jim

10 Erin Bender (Travel With Bender) November 19, 2013 at 2:34 am

I want to see you do them 😀 My 4 yr old knows more spanish then I, these would just be impossible lol.
Erin Bender (Travel With Bender) recently posted..The Cliffs Of Mohor AKA The Princess Bride’s Cliffs Of InsanityMy Profile

11 Andrew November 19, 2013 at 4:03 am

Hah! I’ve just spent a good few minutes trying to say those, great way to practice!
Andrew recently posted..Volunteering with Animals Abroad – Our Week at the Dog Rescue Project in ThailandMy Profile

12 Kerri November 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

Wow! Scout you are awesome!!!
Kerri recently posted..RTW Budget: Three Countries One MonthMy Profile

13 Laurel- Capturing la Vita November 19, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Oh my goodness, how fun! She has got it mastered! I can’t even say tongue twisters in my own language 😉
Laurel- Capturing la Vita recently posted..Forty Things I’ve Learned in ItalyMy Profile

14 Heidi @WagonersAbroad November 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

This is too funny. My son Lars and I were just speaking of tongue twisters in Spanish last weekend. I will have to email this to him. Great video.
Heidi @WagonersAbroad recently posted..Our visit to StonehengeMy Profile

15 Nichola November 21, 2013 at 5:40 am

Very cool, so talented! I have a long way to go yet, before mastering these.
Nichola recently posted..Journey from Melaka to Kuala LumpurMy Profile

16 Renee November 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

THanks Nichola!

17 Mo January 18, 2014 at 8:56 am

Thanks for your update when first arriving to Morelia. Anxious to hear more with pics, of course. Hope you three (oops 5) are having a great time there and that you love it more each day. Miss you but love hearing from/about you.

18 Renee January 18, 2014 at 10:39 am

Hi, Mo!!! We miss you guys too. We’re trying to arrange a visit…will you be around next weekend? 🙂