How much does it cost to go to the movies at Lake Chapala?

Howm much does it cost to go the Movies at Lake Chapala

The three of us just got home from seeing the edifying Thor 2. The sun was shining when we entered the theatre, but we emerged two hours later to find rain hurling itself down from a black sky. The torrents made me feel like I was back in Thailand. It was a fun afternoon and a delightful break from work.

Back in Vancouver we’d pretty much stopped going out to movies. Maybe once a year we’d go with friends, but that’s it. Tickets at our local theater cost $12.50 each for Mark and me and $9.99 for Scout. To make matters worse, more and more movies started coming out in 3D with ticket prices at $15.50 and $12.99. Then something called UltraAVX 3D appeared. Those tickets were $17.50 and $14.99 each. Seriously…what the hell?

It’s not that we couldn’t afford it, but I think that’s an absurd amount of money to pay to see a movie. And don’t get me started on concessions. When we did go, we’d bring our own popcorn and water from home…a cheaper and healthier option. Candy was required (I’m not a total grinch) but we’d stop and get it at London Drugs beforehand for about a third of the theatre price.

Anyway, here in Mexico movies are insanely cheap by comparison, which means we actually go see them once in a while. Here’s a breakdown of the cost:

Cost breakdown: Going to the movies at MovieSpace at Lake Chapala

• Adult ticket — $40 pesos (about 3.20 CAD/$3.05 USD)
  • Child’s ticket — $30 pesos (about 2.40 CAD/2.30 USD)
  • Large popcorn — $25 pesos (about 2.00 CAD/1.90 USD)
  • Large soda — $25 pesos
  • Snickers bar—$25 pesos

They have nachos and hot dogs, but we don’t get those and I’ve got no idea of the price. It’s not much.

Even better, Wednesdays are two-for-one. So for Mark, Scout, and me to elevate ourselves with Thor 2, we handed over $70 pesos…about five bucks. That’s a great deal. We brought our own water, shelled out for two large popcorns, and—because old habits die hard—stopped at the market first to buy Scout a few sweet treats at half the movie price.

And don’t assume that being in Mexico means the place is a dump, it’s not. It’s got six plush theatres with comfortable stadium seats, drink holders, LED lights, etc. Parking is free and there’s plenty of space.

So long story short, living abroad means we’ve been enjoying going to the movies again. This theatre doesn’t get every new movie that comes out, but it gets a lot and that’s good enough for us. Especially considering we don’t have to take out a damn bank loan to go see them. Sometimes the films are in English, other times in Spanish. We don’t really care.

How much does it cost to go to the movies where you live?

1 Patti November 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Too much! I think about $10/each, popcorn is about $5 or $6 give or take some change. We rarely go to the theater. As you said, it’s not that we can’t afford it, it just seems ridiculous to go to the movies and have to shell out close to $30 for the experience. I think the theater owners (especially small town theaters such as ours) have problems too because the producers pay HUGE salaries to the stars, which makes it more expensive for the theater owners and the movie goers end up paying for it.

We have several movie channels through cable and a big flat screen at home. There is also RedBox for $1.20/movie. We can watch anything in the comfort of our home and pause it when I have to dash to the potty!
Patti recently posted..My 15-Minute Claim to Fame ~My Profile

2 Renee November 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Exactly. It’s so easy to watch at home now, why should I fork over $50 to go out? Crazy!!!

3 Heidi @WagonersAbroad November 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Oh I look forward to that in SE Asia or perhaps we will make it to Mexico too. We rarely went to the movies in the US for the same reasons. We don’t have a cinema in our town in Spain, so we will wait. 🙂
Heidi @WagonersAbroad recently posted..Our visit to StonehengeMy Profile

4 Renee November 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Heidi, yes, we had super cheap movies in Thailand too! All in all I prefer watching movies at home, but the action pix are fun with a big screen and big sound. Also our theatre here has a huge parking lot so you can just roll on in five minutes before the movie starts. Sa-weeet!

5 Alyson November 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm

On the rare occasions I took the kids to the cinema back in Australia it would easily be $50, just for the 3 of us. We never did 3D ( I don’t like it) tht’s the 2D prices! It was over an hour to drive to the cinema, too. Luckily I really can’t be bothered with cinemas, I’d rather watch a film at home with wine and cheese 🙂 ( for free!)
Alyson recently posted..Christmas Gift Ideas For Travelling ChildrenMy Profile

6 Renee November 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Totally agree about 3D!!! I hate, hate, hate it. It’s even worse with subtitles since they go all wonky and appear to be vibrating as one’s trying to read. We only see it if we’re really interested in particular film and there’s no 2D option. Also totally agree about watching at home. I like it with the family and dog all piled up on the bed together, fighting over the popcorn bowl. Good times. 🙂

7 Tracy November 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Probably the thing I miss most about living in Malaysia, after food and friends, is going to the cinema. Prices there were similar to what you’ve listed above. I could take two kids and myself to a 3D movie with popcorn and drinks for $14USD. Here in New Zealand it’s around $15USD just to buy one ticket to a regular movie. Australia is similar.
Tracy recently posted..Family fun in a glow worm caveMy Profile

8 Alex November 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I’m right there with you Renee. With my Mexican old person discount, it’s even cheaper. It pays to be 60 in MX.

9 Manfred @ Renegade Travels November 23, 2013 at 4:13 am

The USA is a bit like the UK with their overpriced movies. Now that I’m used to SE Asia pricing, I think I’ll be even more shocked when I next see prices in USA and UK.
Manfred @ Renegade Travels recently posted..Bangkokian Museum (Bangkok Folk Museum)My Profile

10 Andrew November 24, 2013 at 3:45 am

Ah, we can’t wait to get to Hanoi, there are no cinemas in Laos, just nothing. We are itching to see the new Hunger Games film and will have to wait till we get to Vietnam. The last time we went to the cinema was in June/July in Kuala Lumpur; it was so much cheaper than London prices, even when we used to get the earlybird Saturday morning discounts!
Andrew recently posted..The Problem with Phi PhiMy Profile

11 Kirsty November 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm

In the UK for four of us it would be at least £25, so what’s that about $40? That’s just 2d as well, 3d gives me a headache so I wouldn’t ever pay extra to see that. Food in the cinema is the biggest rip off and we never pay for it.

They do cheap kids films that we see sometimes, for £1 each, but they aren’t new releases and my 2 are getting a bit old for some of them. Also we overdose in October when there is a school film festival and we can book free film tickets!! 😀
Kirsty recently posted..Fishing in Fort WilliamMy Profile

12 gabi (the nomadic family) November 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

omg i’m sweating just from the prices. even the snicker addict here would have fainted at the costs. ‘yes, children, if you want to watch a movies, this is called a laptop. yes, children, i’ll buy you a bag of popcorn’ 🙂 loving you! gabi
gabi (the nomadic family) recently posted..After 18 Months in Asia- Three Oddities of the West & My Little Holiday- Houston, TexasMy Profile

13 Erin Bender (Travel With Bender) November 25, 2013 at 12:22 pm

We just spent $100 for 2 adults and 2 kid tickets in London, can you believe that? I miss these prices. I think I’ll head to Mexico 😀
Erin Bender (Travel With Bender) recently posted..10 Things To Do In London With Kids – 5 Of Them Free!My Profile

14 Kerri November 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Wow! The lst movie we saw was in Romania and cost 5 times that. I am jealous!
Kerri recently posted..Photo of the Week: Istanbul’s Basilica CisternMy Profile

15 Renee November 27, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Kerri…no way! I would have guessed movies in Romania would be inexpensive.