A Year Ago Today We Were in Turkey

by Renee on September 5, 2012

This morning, as we prepared to leave Seattle and continue our journey to Mexico, my thoughts drifted back to our European camping trip.

Missing our dilapidated rig and and the camping life, I scanned through my photos to see what, exactly, we were doing on this day last year.

The images I found brought a smile to my face. We were at Altin Camp, a campground dear to our hearts, in Burhaniye, Turkey, on the eastern shore of the Aegean. Altin is a rambling old estate that has been converted to a low-key campground by the generous and elegant family that has lived there for 50 years. Elderly pines shade the ground, while wild tortoises creep through overgrown gardens.

We hope to go back one day, to spend more time with owner Inci and her lovely family.

In the meantime, memories will have to do.

That’s our rig on the left, in the one-and-only spot where you can connect to the camp’s wi-fi.

The grounds go on forever. Just when you think you’ve walked to the end of the property, more unfolds before you.

On windy days, Scout and I would wander the campground searching for nests blown out of the trees.

The restaurant, where we consumed endless orders of gözleme and cups of Turkish tea

Evening on the Aegean

Sunset from the camper

I miss the beach here.

At our regular lunch place in nearby Ören, this iskendar was my go-to order (grilled bread, slices of lamb döner, fresh tomato sauce, melted browned butter, yogurt). It was quite spicy and served volcanically hot. (I wanted to cry when my iskendar arrived tepid, as it occasionally did, with unheated bread and cold tomato sauce.)

Beautiful, oozing, sweet figs we bought by the crate from the local market

The beach in Ören

And last but not least, this is the SINGLE BEST PIDE I ATE during our five months in Turkey. No kidding. It’s kıymalı ve yumurtalı (minced meat and egg), my favorite. Perfectly cooked, perfect distribution of toppings, perfect topping-to-pide ratio, perfectly seasoned. Sigh…

1 The Ippels September 6, 2012 at 3:20 am

More food photos, yay! Lovely memories, time to make new ones! Yui e-mailed and said she missed Scout. Drive safe & let us know where you end up in Mexico!

2 Renee September 6, 2012 at 3:27 am

Thanks guys, will do!

3 Chris and Carol September 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

You make our mouths water! Turkish food is so outstanding! …As is Turkey.

4 Renee September 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, C&C! I made my own mouth water too. We miss Turkish food in a BIG way. :-)

5 Turkey's For Life September 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

That iskender kebab looks lovely. The tomato sauce looks really fresh. Not a bad sunset and beach you had yourselves there, either. No wonder you happy memories of it. Enjoy your journey towards Mexico. :)
Julia
Turkey’s For Life recently posted..Fethiye Photo: The Ancient Telmessos Theatre – Is Restoration Nigh?My Profile

6 Renee September 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Thanks, Julia. Yes, it was one of the freshest tomato sauces I had, nom nom nom. We are missing Turkish food like crazy. Hope you guys are well!!!

7 Daisy Devon September 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yay! This makes me so excited for October when we head to Turkey!
Daisy Devon recently posted..the virgin maryMy Profile

8 Renee September 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Daisy, you’re going to love it! Do you know where you’re going yet?

9 Montecristo Travels March 31, 2013 at 6:02 am

I see you went to Turkey with your dog … we are off to Greece, Bulgaria, Istanbul and then Crimea in July with our toy dog – a long hair chihuahua named Montecristo – he flies in-cabin. We have a pet-friendly hotel lined up for Istanbul … but I am uncertain as to the paperwork. Do you have the paperwork still? We live in Canada. And if you happen to know anythign for entering the Ukraine we’d also be grateful!

10 Renee March 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

Glad you found the blog. Where are you first landing, Istanbul? Once you land, will you be flying again or driving?

I wrote an e-book about flying dogs to Europe. It covers everything involved….vet certificates, vaccinations, paperwork, flights, planning, safety tips, etc. You’re obviously pretty experienced already, but if you are interested in that resource, here’s this link: http://flyyourdog.com/. (Dog-import requirements for Greece and Bulgaria are included; the other countries you’re visiting aren’t, though all the flight safety and planning issues are the same.)

For information about importing your dog to the Ukraine, contact The Veterinary and Sanitary Control office in Kyiv: kiev@vetcontrol.org.

I researched the dog-import regulations for Turkey, and though I found lots of random/outdated/contradictory information, I couldn’t find an official source. I’ve contacted the embassy Ottawa and will post when I hear back from them. When we went, we drove over the border, and driving is always looser than flying. We had our CIFA-endorsed International Health Certificate and vaccination records in case anyone asked, but no one did.

Hope this helps. I just checked out your blog, and am looking forward to following Montecristo’s future travels. :-)