Saying goodbye to Turkey

by Renee on January 18, 2012

I haven’t felt like posting recently. We’ve been taking it easy, savoring our last few weeks in Fethiye and doing our regular stuff.  Going out to eat, shopping at the farmer’s market, exploring, visiting friends, and indulging in high-speed internet at overpriced cafes along the marina.

Scout’s Kindle 3G broke last month, and though we had a friend mail a new one (Amazon won’t ship to Turkey), it seems to have gone missing in the post. No doubt it will show up right after we leave. I guess in that case, we’ll ask friends here to mail it to Amsterdam where we can pick it up in three months. So that would mean we’ve paid about $100 in shipping charges for a device we won’t get until we are practically home, where we could have gotten it for no shipping charges. Terrific.

I’m excited to swap our freezing apartment for our cozy rig and get back on the road. The next three months will take us through northern Italy, Southern France, Spain, Western France, Belgium, and back to the the Netherlands. Scout’s done a ton of research and has put together a dream itinerary for herself that actually looks pretty good. It’s a balanced menu of history, amusement parks, cultural stops and restaurants. She’s most excited about the restaurants, from Spanish tapas to French bakeries to a splurge at Madrid’s Sobrino de Botin, the oldest restaurant in the world. That last one is pricy, but Scout swears she’s prepared to give up a few indulgences to pay for it, so we’ll see.

But as wonderful as all this will be, my heart breaks at the thought of leaving Turkey. I’ve grown to love it the warm people, the excellent food, the rugged geography, the language (Scout in particular has made great progress) and all (well, most) of Turkey’s quirks. The dolmuses, shepherds driving sheep through the neighborhood, chickens everywhere, stray dogs, the calls to prayer, old men playing backgammon and sipping tea, ladies in headscarves, the farmers markets, free-range kids everywhere, ayran with meals, the mosques, squat toilets, waiters saying “Auf Wiedersehen” when they mean thank you and a thousand other things.

A busy day of scrubbing the apartment and repacking the RV lies ahead, so I’d better get to it. I think we’ve done a pretty good job of not buying things here, but until we actually cram it all back into the vehicle, I won’t know for sure.

Wish us luck on that Kindle…

1 Turkey's For Life January 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Really hope the Kindle shows. :( We’ll keep an eye out for it. Can’t believe how quickly your time has passed here but you’ve got an exciting time ahead. The eating of tapas in Madrid is one of my ambitions! :)
Julia
Turkey’s For Life recently posted..Turkish Recipes: Hamsi Season CelebrationMy Profile

2 Clélie January 19, 2012 at 1:24 am

Sad about leaving. It sounds as if you’ve had an amazing time. But looking forward to following Scout’s itinerary.

3 Renee January 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’ll post it when she’s done. At this point it would take two years and about $10,000 to do everything on her list…

4 Carol January 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

The next part of your journey sounds really exciting, what an education for your daughter. Do you ever encounter problems crossing borders with your dog.

5 Renee January 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Carol, no problems at all. Archie’s got a health certification for all countries within the EU, though we only had to show it when we flew into Amsterdam. We’ve left the Eu & entered Turkey twice and returned to the EU once. During those crossings, no one asked for Archie’s paperwork. Seems to be a non issue.

6 Alan January 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

‘Hadiye! Bye Bye!’ (Okcularese for ‘let’s/here we/you go! Bye Bye!’ (bye bye adopted from us foreigners :-D)) Have a good time.
Alan recently posted..Archers Proudly Presents . . .My Profile

7 Renee January 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Cheers, Alan. :-)

8 Jake Doyle January 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Very sad about your departure! So nice to have gotten to know you. Our prayers are with you for a safe journey. We do hope your kindle reaches you in good shape. Look forward to a continued friendship online :)

9 Renee January 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Thanks, Jake! We loved getting to know you guys too and look forward to seeing you again. IN SE Asia perhaps?!?

You’ll never believe but on the last afternoon I spent an hour at the downtown PTT and found the Kindle had arrived! After multiple trips across town (to collect our friend whose name was on the package, to customs, to the the tax office, back to customs, back to the post office), we got it. Huzzah!

10 Amy @WorldschoolAdventures January 20, 2012 at 2:21 am

Isn’t it lovely to fall in love with a place? A part of your heart will always be in Turkey. You have definitely made me want to go there!
Amy @WorldschoolAdventures recently posted..Don’t Rush Me, I’m Learning!My Profile

11 Renee January 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You’re right, Amy. Falling in love with a place is the best. Now, if I could only live in 10 different spots at once…

12 Akila January 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I’m sad that y’all are leaving Turkey, too. We would have loved to meet you on the road but we’re going in the opposite direction. We’re heading to eastern Europe now and will be in Turkey in the summer. I can’t wait to hear about how you fare in Spain. The food is amazing – I am sure that Scout will love it.
Akila recently posted..weekly photo: harrods’ sparkling winterMy Profile

13 Jenn January 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I know how you feel about Fethiye. Turkey holds a special place in our hearts too, expecially Fethiye. Wishing you all happy travels! So excited for you!
Jenn
Jenn recently posted..Offensive French SealMy Profile

14 Mark February 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Your experiences in this country are the same as ours. We definitely share a love for Turkey and the Turkish people.

15 Julia Robyn April 3, 2012 at 7:45 am

Hello Admin,

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Regards,
Julia
Julia Robyn recently posted..Rheumatoid arthritis – is Celebrex good for this?My Profile