Merry Christmas from Ramblecrunch

Hello! I’ve been enjoying a break from blogging, but it’s Christmas morning here in Turkey, and I’d be remiss not to drag myself back on the horse and wish everyone a merry Christmas.

We’re enjoying a lovely holiday morning here in Fethiye. The air is crisp, but the sun’s out and streaming through the windows, warming our chilly little apartment.

It’s been a festive week of shopping in town and tormenting our patient Muslim neighbors with endless loops of our iTunes Christmas playlist.

The pile of prezzies under our Christmas tree (actually it’s a shrub in a pot) grew bigger than I’d expected. Nothing outrageous, mind you, but lots of small and practical items that make sense for a minimalist, traveling family. We spent the morning opening creatively wrapped parcels and trying to keep Archie from ingesting all the wrapping or getting resource-guardy over all the chocolates floating around.

Scout’s favorite gifts were a Turkish Monopoly game, a warm coat, a small calculator and some jewelery, along with an intricately patterned wooden box from eastern Turkey to keep the jewelry in. Another highlight was the return of her long-broken favorite purse. We had the zipper fixed and then wrapped it up and gave it to her as a gift. (I love living in a place where you get a broken thing repaired rather than tossing it in the rubbish and then heading to Costco to buy a bigger and better one.)

Mark got an apron for the kitchen (He doesn’t cook but does help with the dishes, which I appreciate!), a yoga mat, a travel umbrella, and some edibles. He’s also getting a leather jacket, but it wasn’t under the tree since he needs to come to the shop and pick it out.

As for me, I was thrilled to get a proper tripod, a rare item here in Turkey. (Most are plastic and flimsy.) My Manfrotto monopod disappeared somewhere in Northern Turkey, so I’ve been shooting handheld since then with sadly predictable results. A new scarf, some locally made jewelery, and a new travel umbrella also had my name on them.

Small, practical things all greatly appreciated.

Expat Family

Later we’re heading over to spend the afternoon with a lovely family we met here in town. The father is an American journalist who writes about energy issues and the mum a Russian-born yoga teacher. Two years ago they moved here from Budapest with their son, a bright and friendly 12 year old. The boy now speaks Russian, English, Hungarian and Turkish.

Four languages by age 12?!? Further proof that nothing beats an international, expat education. Are we keeping this in mind as we discuss future plans? You’d better believe it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

1 Tricia(Geeky Explorers) December 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Sounds like a wonderful holiday! Merry Christmas!

2 Renee December 26, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thanks, Tricia! The dinner we attended last night turned out to be an amazing, multi-course Turkish feast. One of the best meals I’ve had in ages but I ate way too much.

Merry Christmas to you as well. Sounds like Santa is bringing you a new car?

Renee 🙂

3 Cliff December 26, 2011 at 5:57 am

That was lovely! I feel like you’re in a movie when I read your adventures.

4 Renee December 26, 2011 at 8:52 am

What a wonderful compliment. Thank you, Cliff.

5 Alan December 26, 2011 at 8:26 am

. . and a happy holiday to you guys! Had a great walk in the mountains for four hours yesterday – have you guys got out of the town to explore your surroundings?

6 Renee December 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

Yes a bit, but not as much as we should. We’ve hiked in the surrounding hillside and also to Kayaköy. What else to do you recommend?

7 Connie December 26, 2011 at 8:33 am

Merry Christmas to you all! A festive lovely post.

8 Renee December 26, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thanks, Connie! Hope you had a lovely holiday as well.

9 Turkey's For Life December 26, 2011 at 8:57 am

And a very festive scene that is, too. Looks like you had a lovely morning unwrapping your presents. We bought a pair of boots for me and a jacket for Barry – that you saw. That was our Christmas unwrapped! 🙂 Looking forward to the arrival of family now. They’re just at Manchester airport.
Julia

10 Renee December 26, 2011 at 9:43 am

Have a great time with your dad. Glad he’s arriving on such a lovely day! 🙂

11 Mark December 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

Boxing Day “big splash” today on Calis Beach seafront starting at just after midday with the swimmers going in at 1pm, always a fun way to spend an hour & some nice restaurants open for lunch or just a coffee if you’re still full up from yesterday! Wonderful write up, as always, seasons greetings to all.

12 Renee December 26, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks for letting us know, Mark. Sounds like fun. We’ll see if we can rouse our lazy selves and make it over there….

13 Bridgette Booth December 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Merry Christmas, Renee. I was sharing some of your adventures – from my poor memory – with family members over the holiday. Even though my recounting was mixed up, they all agreed they needed to come see your photographs and read of your family’s adventures. I hope they will say hello too.

Hope you have a very happy new year!

14 Renee December 28, 2011 at 6:41 am

Cheers, Bridgette! I’m glad you’re finding out adventures entertaining. We’ve been lying low for the past six weeks or so, just catching our breath, but we’re gearing up for our tour of southern Europe.

Happy new year to you as well!