Free Camping in Gallipoli

After leaving Istanbul we headed to the Gallipoli peninsula to visit the WWI memorials and familiarize Scout with the brutal Gallipoli campaign of 1915/16.

Getting there took the whole day, so in the evening when we reached the Northern part of the peninsula, we pulled off the main road and searched for a spot to spend the night. We passed several increasingly tiny villages, eventually ending up in this beautiful spot, on a hill in the middle of nowhere overlooking the Aegean.

During the evening a shepherd passed by with his flock and, with a little help from our Turkish phrasebook, he and Mark chatted for a while.

Later, when it was dark, Mark, Scout and I stood in the empty road and gazed at the stars. The night was a thick, inky black, darker than I’ve ever seen it, and stars covered the sky like silver glitter. For the first time Scout was able to see the Milky Way and many well-known constellations, which usually fade to nothingness in the ambient light of cities and towns. For the first time I really understood why a person might dedicate their life to studying the stars.

The next morning we got going bright and early, so we would have a full day to tour the battlefields.

Beautiful and remote.

Scout and I enjoyed a wander in the hills just after dawn. A pack of feral dogs was trailing the shepherd and his flock on the opposite hillside, but I kept my eye on them and we didn’t have any problems.

Scout got some great photos.

Sunflower fields at dawn

The shepherd with his flock of goats

The same shepherd, chatting on his cell phone the previous evening

— Renee

1 Henny September 20, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Hi, Renee, Mark and Scout,

Just commenting to say hello and let you know we found you on the internet! (Only a few days ago.)

Great to see you all in good health.

Love, Henny, Herbert and Jared

2 Renee September 23, 2011 at 9:34 am

Thanks, Henny. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in the Netherlands.

3 Renee September 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Thanks, Henny. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in the Netherlands.

4 Athomeintheworld6 September 23, 2011 at 4:02 am

You take stunning photos Renee (or should I say Mark). It makes me miss Turkey even more. I am enjoying the journey with you.
Jenn

5 Renee September 23, 2011 at 9:33 am

Thanks, Jenn. Appreciate that. I’m the photographer, which is why I’m never in any of the pictures!

6 Renee September 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

7 Turkey's For Life September 23, 2011 at 10:27 am

Love, love, love your photos. That looks like a beautiful corner of Turkey. Enjoying following your journey southwards…
Julia

8 Renee September 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Thanks, Julia. Yes, it was indeed lovely—definitely one of our most memorable free camps to date. And the monuments and battlefields were profoundly moving.

9 Alan September 23, 2011 at 11:53 am

welcome to Turkey, you guys – you’re sure to enjoy your stay. I’ll be following you with interest.

10 Renee September 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Thanks! Do you live here in Turkey?

11 Alan September 30, 2011 at 11:38 am

yes, in a small village near Dalyan, Mugla. We’re just off on the road for a couple of weeks – surmanfenn at gmail dot com

12 Janna Liliya September 26, 2011 at 11:41 am

I went to Turkey for 2 nights and 3 days and i made an arrangement with this company for a package tour and i spent a good time in Istanbul. We visited the beauty places of this marvelous city. First day we went on a dinner cruise on Bosphorus and i had a lot of fun with so many kinds of dance shows and good dinner too. I loved the mezzes. Second day we went on a tour and visited the Sultanahmet aria http://www.privatetoursinistanbul.com Every corner looks like a part of history. Hagia Sophia and Chora Church are very beautiful museums. The mosaics of these basilicas are very good protected.  I was fascinated. I badly recommend you to go on a cruise on Bosphorus at night. Istanbul looks very different at night is shining. I had a very enjoyable Dinner cruise on Bosphorus accompanied by Turkish Shows. I will definitely visit again Turkey. Thank you for your services.

13 Akila September 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Oh wow!  What gorgeous photos.   Turkey seems absolutely stunning!

14 Renee September 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Thanks, Akila. We’re loving Turkey and have decided to add an extra three months there. The people are fantastic.

15 Bridgette Booth September 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Fascinating photos – as always!  I especially like the one with Scout running across the field. That’s exactly what I’d want to do!

16 Renee September 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Bridgette, hi! Cheers about the photos. It was such a memorable morning, and the kiddo had a great time.